Sunday, May 24, 2015

Across the Great Plains

Thursday, May 14 - Amarillo TX

Left Albuquerque (Cedar Crest, actually) early this morning.  Easy run to Amarillo and I was in the park and set up by 1:30pm.  Cloudy skies so the driving wasn't too painful into the sun all morning and there is no indication of severe storms in the forecast.

Friday, May 15 - Oklahoma City OK

Well, surprise, surprise, there was dense fog at Amarillo this morning so I delayed leaving.  Ran in and out of the fog for probably 100 miles before getting sunny weather.  Found the park easily and got settled by 1:30 pm.

Saturday, May 16 - Coffeyville

WOW, I had forgotten how intense Midwestern electrical storms can be.  Skipped across the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma with no problems and then got hit last night by one of the worst storms I can remember that wasn't a tornado.  My nervous dog Lola was content to get a pat and a soft word and she went back to sleep.  Muppet, the usually calm one, shook and shook although I had him cradled in my arms and wrapped in a blanket.  He finally jumped off the bed and into the new dog bed and settled down.  This morning the park is ankle deep in water and there are limbs down. In another area of the park, there was a large pecan tree ripped out by its roots.  It would have crushed the RPOD. 




Monday

FOG, HEAVY FOG in Coffeyville this morning.  I managed to find things to do for a couple of hours until the fog lifted and driving was safe.  Arrived in Grain Valley, MO, a far suburb of KC, this afternoon.  Thursday I will change parks to the one at Longview Lake (it's a lot quieter) and stay for the week through Memorial Day.  



The fog was much heavier when I took the dogs out.  Just 10 or 15 minutes made the trees in the distance visible.

Kansas City

Well, snap, not a lot of fun.  The RPOD developed a problem with the toilet which REQUIRED fixing so I made an appointment with the Service Department next to the park where I was staying.  To make a long story short(er), they didn't finish the repairs the first day so they cheerfully suggested I just "bring it back in tomorrow."  Seriously?  So I hooked up, nearly had an accident, and towed it off to another park 20 miles away.  And the next day early, towed it back to them.  GGGRRRR. But now it's fixed.

The new park is Longview Lake RV Campground, owned and operated by Jackson County, MO.  It is a really beautiful, spacious park.  The rain started last night and it has poured since then.  Not a fun weekend for the tent campers for sure.  Supposed to rain all day today as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment