Monday, March 30, 2015

The Desert Blooms

There has been enough rain this winter to ensure a beautiful spring.  Desert flowers are popping out everywhere you look.  



One of the local residents told me I should go to Rockhound State Park to see the poppies.  So...the very next day I drove over there.  It's only 15 miles or so from the park.  See below for eye-popping wildflower photos:
Rockhound State Park Visitor Center



Poppies on the mountainside

Poppies in the desert

And just in case you are tired of the golden/orange blaze of poppies:






I have dozens more photos of flowers of every shape/size/color.  The sheer variety is mind-boggling.  And by now, several days after I was there, the flowers may be all gone.  You have to catch the right day in the spring and it changes, depending on how much moisture we have had during the winter.  I do know that I have seen a lot of cacti sprouting buds so they will be blooming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment