Friday, June 12, 2015

Harper's Ferry, Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive, Appomattox Courthouse

Harper's Ferry

Drove up to Harper's Ferry to see where noted Kansas lunatic John Brown tried to start a slave revolt.  It's a very pretty little town set on the hills by the Potomac River.  Here are some photos I took on one of the hiking paths.







My last day in Winchester, I drove on Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park.  Beautiful scenery.  The drive itself is 105 miles but I turned off at the 60 mile mark so I could get back with plenty of time to get the RPOD ready to go the next day.

Shenandoah National Park




This tunnel is quite old, low ceiling, and not illuminated.  I was glad to get through it.

Appomattox

I left Winchester and headed south on I-81, letting Garmin do the navigating.  Well, I was fine until Garmin started sending me down what appeared to be county roads.  Narrow, twisting, but probably the shortest way to get to Appomattox.  After a couple of hours of this, I was glad to see a sign that said "Appomattox 5 miles".

Found the park, got settled, and had a vodka tonic to reduce the stress of the drive!  First thing the next morning, the dogs and I piled into the Jeep and drove the two miles to the entrance to the Appomattox Courthouse Historical Park.

Appomattox Courthouse

The park has wide gravel paths and dogs are welcome so Lola and Muppet got a history lesson.  Several people stopped me to ask about them:  what breed, how old, etc.  I gave my usual answer, "They are rescues so I know nothing about them."  







Appomattox Courthouse

McLean House where surrender was signed.

Lots of interesting stories about the surrender:




Union troops lined both sides of the road the CSA troops marched to turn in their weapons and battle flags.  The Union commanding officer ordered his troops to salute the Confederate troops as they passed.  In return the Confederate commanding officer ordered his troops to return the salute.

As I was driving back to the RV park, I saw a cemetery and pulled into the parking lot.  Story below.







If you ever find yourself within 100 miles of this park, please detour and visit.  It is a touching memorial to the 600,000 casualties;  every village, town, county, city in the United States at the time lost men, sometimes all the young men they had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment