Sunday, June 21, 2015

Now turning back west.

Wytheville, VA

I chose to stop in this town because Andrew Waldrip, father of Henry Lingle Waldrip, who was the father of our grandmother Clara Waldrip, came from this county.  The photo below was taken at the back of the RV park.  


You can't really see it in this photo but the sheep had recently been sheared.  There are two VERY LARGE Great White Pyrenees dogs (Great White Pyrenees) who are out with the sheep to protect them.  They were very interested in Muppet and Lola but we stayed away from the fence.

While filling up the Jeep, I saw a very old cemetery across the road so I drove over to see if I could get lucky and find Waldrip graves.  No luck but I did find the cemetery interesting.  There are CSA Civil War casualties buried here.  



These old cemeteries remind me how painful life in those times could be.  This family buried at least five of their children here.


From Wytheville, I moved on to stay overnight at Crossville.  The park manager kindly gave me a site that must have been out of level side to side by 6 inches.  Took me 30 minutes to get the rig level.  A kind guy saw me struggling and came over but by that time, I had it.  

Bean Pot Campground


The next day I drove on to visit friends Debbie and Scott Buskirk at their place in the country outside a tiny town called Cedar Grove.  Debbie and Scott were parked next to Mike and me in Port Townsend WA two years ago and they recommended Hidden Valley Ranch.  When we got to the ranch, we found they were parked two spaces down from us so we visited back and forth all winter. 

Debbie

Dogs everywhere.

Scott

Buskirks' House

After a fun couple of days, the dogs and I moved on to our next objective, Savannah TN, to visit the Shiloh National Battlefield and Corinth National Battlefields.  More on this in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment